Notary Public or Commissioner of Oaths? Knowing the right person needed for your type of document.

People often get confused on whether to get a document notarized or get it commissioned. Understanding the difference between a Commissioner of Oaths and Notary public is important as this will save you time and money. It is important to bear in mind that neither a Commissioner of Oaths nor Notary Public is obligated to give you legal advice.

Commissioner for Oaths

In Manitoba, a Commissioner of Oaths is an individual who is empowered to administer and witness the swearing of oaths, and take and receive affidavits, statutory declarations, and affirmations. A commissioner of Oaths can only endorse documents valid for use in Manitoba. This appointment requires renewal every two years and documents include their expiry date under the signature of the documents. Example of people with this title include lawyers, judges, justice of peace, police officers, political representatives, etc.

Notary Public

A Notary Public is a person who is authorized to sign and seal documents that will be sent outside the Province of Manitoba and worldwide. Most lawyers are Notary Public. A Manitoba notary public is appointed by the Minister of Finance and must meet certain criteria.

Difference Between a Commissioner of Oaths and Notary Public

The major difference between a Commissioner of Oaths is what the document is needed for and where it will be used. For the sake of a simple oath taking, both the positions can endorse the documents so long as it will be used in Manitoba.

If the document is intended to be used outside of Manitoba, a Notary is required.

Another difference between these positions is that only a Notary can make a certified true copy of a document, certify an execution, or attest to an oath.

To notarize a document please call our office (431) 588-2702 to make an appointment